1) place a bench a few feet away from a cable machine with a D-handle. Set the cable pulley as high as you can.
2) Whilst seated on the bench, extend your arm at a 45° and grab the handle with your palm facing upwards. Set your feet firmly on the ground for support.
3) Slightly tilt your torso in the direction of the machine.
4) Exhale and pull the weight inward towards your side until you feel a strong contraction in your lat. Remember to really squeeze your lat.
Laterally crunch into the direction of the pull - as you're pulling the cable towards your torso, crunch your side at the top of the movement as you squeeze your lat. This will allow you to maximize lat contraction.
5) Inhale and lower the weight back to the starting position.