1) Lie on the floor and place your feet under something that won't move.
2) Bend your knees and elevate your upper body so that it creates a V-Shape with your thighs.
3) Grab the dumbbell with both hands and hold it in front of you with a bend in your elbows.
4) Exhale and twist to the right until your arms are parallel to the floor.
5) From there twist all the way to your left side until your arms are parallel to the floor.
The twist from one side to the other needs to be one fluid motion.
- If you're doing the Russian twist without any weight, then extend your arms even further with a slight bend in your elbows. While there is no weight being used, the fact that you have extended your arms will add extra strain to your abdominal muscles.