1) Stand straight whilst holding a pair of dumbbells in both hands with your palms facing your body.
2) Arch your back and keep your head up.
3) Inhale and step back with your left leg. Your right foot should stay stationary as you lower your body down. Lower yourself to the point where your right knee forms a 90° angle and your left knee hovers off the floor.
Keep your back straight and head up as you lower yourself.
4) Exhale and through the hill of your right foot, push yourself back and raise your left leg back to the starting position. However, don't stop there, simultaneously as you're bringing your left leg back to its starting position, lift it up by bringing your left knee toward your chest.
5) Bring your left back its starting position.
6) Alternate between legs.
One repetition counts for both legs (i.e. one leg is 0.5 of a rep).