1) Set the barbell on a rack that is at a comfortable height.
2) Once the bar is loaded up, step under the bar and place the back of your shoulders under it. If there is a pad that you can attach to the bar, do so for comfort.
Hold the bar from both sides with your hands to ensure balance.
3) Lift the bar from the rack by lifting with your legs and straightening your torso. Make sure that you push your shoulder blades back.
4) Step away from the rack with your feet at shoulder width with your toes slightly out. Keep your head up and maintain a straight back throughout the movement.
This is your starting position.
5) Inhale and slowly lower the bar. Sit back with your hips as though you are going to sit on a chair. Make sure that you keep your back straight.
Keep going down until your legs are parallel to the floor.
6) Exhale and lift the bar back to your starting position. Use your heels to push yourself back.
- Push your hips forward and squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement (your starting position) to engage the glutes more.